Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Ex Second Home Sec Evades Prosecution.


Plans for a private prosecution against former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith alleging fraud over her second home expenses claims have been dropped.

Anthony Weaver, from Holborn, central London, alleged Ms Smith had defrauded the public purse by claiming her main residence was her sister's London home.

She said her second home was her constituency home in Worcestershire.

Mr Weaver, 62, said he would not proceed as he could not afford any possible future legal costs.

He wanted to prosecute Ms Smith under Section 2 (1) of the Fraud Act 2006.

Ms Smith, who resigned from her post earlier this month, has insisted she "fully abided" by the rules of second home claims.

In May Mr Weaver applied for a summons before a district judge in Ms Smith's Redditch constituency alleging she defrauded the public purse of between £116,000 and £200,000.

The judge adjourned the case and advised the self-employed tour operator to contact the Metropolitan Police.

Mr Weaver's application for a summons was due to be heard at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

The bid for a private prosecution came after a complaint was made in February to the parliamentary standards watchdog.

It centred around Ms Smith claiming allowances on her Redditch constituency home while living as a lodger with her sister in south-east London.

5 comments:

  1. It's a pity there isn't some sort of fighting fund for a class action against her. Still, good on Anthony Weaver for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought. Maybe if some generous souls contacted Mr Weaver, and offered assistance, he could be persuaded to continue with his prosecution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A disappointing but predictable outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only to be expected, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn shame, I would have donated a few quid for that one.

    Maybe he should have set up a Pay Pal account and a blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails